Nurse Practitioner Gynaecological Oncology
NP, RN, BN (Sydney) MN (NP) (Sydney), GradCertCancNurs, GradCertWomen’sHealthNurs
Phone: Phone: (02) 8514 0262
Fax: Fax: (02) 9383 1031
Shannon is a Nurse Practitioner specialising in Gynaecological Oncology. She has over 20 years experience in gynaecological oncology. She is a member of the Cancer Nursing Research Unit, a consortium of Sydney Nursing School and the Sydney Local Health District and on the Executive Committee of the NSW ACI Gynaeoncology Nurses’ Group. Shannon holds a Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner) and Graduate Certificates in Cancer Nursing and Women’s Health Nursing. Shannon has research interests in many aspects relating to the care of women with gynaecological cancers, particularly patient satisfaction and experience, quality of life and fast track surgical care, and women’s experience of GTD. Shannon runs a Nurse Practitioner Clinic which provides a comprehensive service to women with a low risk of cancer recurrence, post-operative patients and women with Gestational Trophoblastic Disease.
Shannon is also a Lecturer and Course Coordinator of Cancer and Haematology Nursing at Sydney Nursing School, The University of Sydney.
- Philp S, Barnett C, D’Abrew N & White K. 2017. Nurse confidence in gynaecological oncology practice and the evaluation of a professional development module. Contemporary Nurse, 53:2, 203-216.
- Philp S, Mellon A, Barnett C, D’Abrew N & White K. (2017) The road less travelled: Australian women’s experiences with vulval cancer. European Journal of Cancer Care, 26(1).
- Philp S, Mellon, A, Barnett C, D’Abrew N, White K. (2016). The road less travelled: Australian Women’s experiences with vulval cancer. European Journal of Cancer Care 2016; doi: 10.1111/ecc.12465.
- Carter J, Philp S, Wan K. (2016). Optimising recovery after surgery: Predictors of early discharge and hospital readmission. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2016; 56(5): 489-495.
- Wan KM, Carter J, Philp S.(2016) Predictors of early discharge after open gynaecological Surgery in the setting of an enhanced recovery after surgery protocol. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research 2016; 42(10):1369-1374.doi: 10.1111/jog.1304.
- Philp S, Carter J, Pather S, Barnett C, D’Abrew N & White K. (2015). Patients’ Perspectives of Fast Track Surgery and the Role of the Fast Track Clinical Nurse Consultant in Gynaecological Oncology. Holistic Nursing Practice, 29(3), 158-166
- Philp S, Carter J, Pather S, Barnett C, D’Abrew N, White K (2015) Patients’ satisfaction with Fast Track Surgery in Gynaecological Oncology. European Journal of Cancer Care, 24(4), 567-573
- Philp S , Carter J, Pather S, Barnett C, D’Abrew N, White K (2014) Patients’ satisfaction with Fast Track Surgery in Gynaecological Oncology. European Journal of Cancer Care , DOI 10.1111/ecc.12254
- Carter J, Philp S and O’Connell R (2014) A 5-year review of gynaecological oncology patients managed by a fast track surgery program. International Journal of Clinical Medicine , 5, 36-41
- Bonner C, Nattress K, Anderson C, Carter J, Milross C, Philp S , Juraskova I (2012). Chore or priority? Barriers and facilitators affecting dilator use after pelvic radiotherapy for gynaecological cancer. Supportive Care in Cancer, 20(10), 2305-2313
- Anderson, C., Carter, J., Nattress, K., Beale, P., Philp, S ., Harrison, J., Juraskova, I. (2011). “The Booklet Helped Me Not to Panic” A Pilot of a Decision Aid for Asymptomatic Women With Ovarian Cancer and With Rising CA-125 Levels. International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, 21(4), 737-743.
- Carter, J., &, Philp, S . (2011). Assessing outcomes after fast track surgical management of corpus cancer. Open Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology , 1(3), 139-143.
- Carter, J., Philp, S ., & Arora, V. (2011). Early discharge after major gynaecological surgery: advantages of fast track surgery. Open Journal of Obstetetrics and Gynecology , 1(1), 1-5.
- Pather, S., Loadsman, J., Mansfield, C., Rao, A., Arora, V., Philp, S ., Carter, J. (2011). Perioperative outcomes after total laparoscopic hysterectomy compared with fast-track open hysterectomy – A retrospective case-control study. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology , 51(5), 393-396.
- Pather, S., Loadsman, J., Gopalan, P., Rao, A., Philp, S ., Carter, J. (2011). The role of transversus abdominis plane blocks in women undergoing total laparoscopic hysterectomy: A retrospective review. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology , 51(6), 544-547.
- Carter, J., Philp, S ., Arora, V. (2010). Fast Track Gynaecologic Surgery in the Overweight and Obese Patient. International Journal of Clinical Medicine , 1(2), 64-69
- Arora, V., Philp, S ., Nattress, K., Pather, S., Dalrymple, C., Atkinson, K., Smirnova, S., Cotterell, S., Carter, J. (2010). Patient satisfaction with inpatient care provided by the Sydney Gynecological Oncology Group. Patient Related Outcome Measures, 1, 179-184.
- Lopez, A-L, Butow, P, Philp, S, Hobbs, K, Phillips, E, Roberstson, R & Juroskova, I. (2019). Age‐related supportive care needs of women with gynaecological cancer: A qualitative exploration. European Journal of Cancer Care. 2019;e13070. DOI:10.1111/ecc.13070