Clinical Associate Professor Sam Saidi
MBChB, MRCOG, FRANZCOG, PhD
Phone: (02) 8514 0262
Fax: (02) 9383 1031
Dr Saidi trained and worked as a subspecialist gynaecological oncologist at St James University Hospital in Leeds, UK, one of the largest teaching hospitals in Europe and one of the largest gynaecological cancer centres in the UK. He completed his PMETB(UK) certification in gynaecological oncology in September 2006 and commenced as a subspecialist gynaecological oncologist at St James in October 2006. He emigrated to Sydney in April 2013 to take up a position as senior staff specialist in the department of gynaecological oncology at Royal Prince Alfred which moved to Lifehouse in November 2013. Dr Saidi was awarded Clinical Associate Professor status with the University of Sydney School of Medicine in July 2013.
Dr Saidi graduated from St Andrews University with a BSc in medical science in 1990 and then completed his MB ChB at the University of Manchester in 1993. His postgraduate medical training started in the North of England but then took him to the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham and the Royal Marsden hospital in London before finishing in Yorkshire where he completed his general obstetrics and gynaecology training in 2001. He obtained his MRCOG certification in 2000 at the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. From 2001-2004 he undertook PhD research into endometrial cancer genomics at the University of Cambridge and graduated with a doctorate in 2005. As an accredited gynaecological oncologist he was a member of a team of 5 subspecialists at St James Institute of Oncology which sees over 600 gynaecological cancer cases annually. His specialist interest is minimally invasive surgery and he was integral in developing laparoscopic surgery for gynaecological cancer at St James as well as introducing sentinel node surgery for vulval cancer to the department. He is a BSCCP and C-QUIP accredited colposcopist and was also lead colposcopist for one of the largest departments in the UK prior to his emigration. He is a member of the British Gynaecological Cancer Society (BGCS) and British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology (BSCCP). In November 2012 he was awarded Fellowship of the Royal College of Australia and New Zealand (RANZCOG). His outside interests include EPL soccer (as a lifelong Manchester United supporter), travelling, cycling and running.
- Obeidat RA, Saidi SA. 2012. Prevalence of High-Grade Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia (CIN) and Cervical Cancer in Women with Post-Coital Bleeding (PCB) and Negative Smear: A Retrospective Study. Gynecol Obstet 2:127
- Obeidat R, Perren TJ and Saidi SA. 2012. Struma Ovarii Associated with Pseudo-Meigs’ Syndrome and Elevated Serum CA 125: A Case Report and Literature Review. Gynecol Obstet 2.129: 2161-0932.
- Spencer JA, Weston MJ, Saidi SA, Wilkinson N, Hall GD. Clinical utility of image-guided peritoneal and omental biopsy. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2010 Nov;7(11):623-31.
- El-Ghobashy AE, Saidi SA. Sentinel lymph node sampling in gynaecological cancers: techniques and clinical applications. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2009 Jul;35(7):675-85. Epub 2008 Nov 2. Review.
- Saidi SA, Holland CM, Charnock-Jones DS, Smith SK. In vitro and in vivo effects of fenofibrate and retinoic acid in endometrial cancer. Molecular Cancer 2006; 5:13
- Holland CM, Saidi SA, Evans AL, Sharkey AM, Latimer JA, Crawford RA, Charnock-Jones DS, Print CG, Smith SK. 2004. Transcriptome analysis of endometrial cancer identifies peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors as potential therapeutic targets. Mol Cancer Ther Aug;3(8):993-1001.
- Saidi SA, Holland CM, Kreil DPK, Mackay DJC, Print CG, Charnock-Jones DSC, Smith SK. 2004. Independent Component Analysis of Microarray Data in the Study of Endometrial Cancer. Oncogene Aug 26;23(39):6677-83
- Johnson NA, Sengupta S, Saidi SA, Lessan K, Charnock-Jones SD, Scott L, Stephens R, Freeman TC, Tom BD, Harris M, Denyer G, Sundaram M, Sasisekharan R, Smith SK, Print CG. 2004. Endothelial cells preparing to die by apoptosis initiate a programme of transcriptome and glycome regulation. FASEB J 18:188-90.
- Evans AL, Sharkey AS, Saidi SA, Print CG, Catalano RD, Smith SK, Charnock-Jones DS. (2003). Generation and use of a tailored gene array to investigate vascular biology. Angiogenesis 2003;6(2):93-104
- Catalano RD, Yanaihara A, Evans AL, Rocha D, Prentice A, Saidi S, Print CG, Charnock-Jones DS, Sharkey AM, Smith SK. 2003. The effect of RU486 on the gene expression profile in an endometrial explant model. Mol Hum Reprod 9:465-73.
- Sanger VK, Saidi SA, O’Brien T, Fisher C. Lymphadenopathy in a patient with carcinoma of the penis: a feline diagnosis Br J Urology, 1999; 84 (9): 1111
- Saidi SA, Butler-Manuel SA, Powell MC. Use of Laparoscopic Surgery for the Treatment of Ectopic Pregnancy in the UK: A National Survey Gynaecological Endoscopy 1999; 8: 81-84
- Saidi SA, Mandal D, Curless E. Bacterial Vaginosis in a District Genito-Urinary Medicine Department: The Significance of Vaginal Microflora and Anaerobes. Int J STD & AIDS, 1994;5:405-8:405-8.