Professor Jonathan Carter
Director of Gynaecological Oncology
MBBS, DipRACOG, FACS, FRANZCOG, CGO, MS, MD
Phone: (02) 8514 0262
Fax: (02) 9383 1031
Professor Jonathan Carter is Director of the Gynaecological Oncology department at Chris O’Brien Lifehouse and Professor of Gynaecological Oncology at the University of Sydney.
He received his specialist training at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and his subspecialty training in gynaecological oncology at the University of Minnesota in the United States. He spent six years at the University of Minnesota, rising to the academic level of Assistant Professor. He returned to Australia in 1996 to assume the role of Head of Gynaecological Oncology at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital.
Jonathan has received numerous awards including the Virginia K. Pierce Award from The Society of Memorial Gynecologic Oncologists, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre; Young Investigators Award (RANZCOG); Viertel Clinical Investigatorship Award and Grant, and; Turnbull Scholarship from University of Melbourne.
He is a member of numerous societies including the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, American Society of Gynaecological Oncologists, American Society of Clinical Oncology, American College of Surgeons, Australian Society of Gynaecological Oncologists, the International Society of Gynecologic Cancer, the Australian Medical Association and the University of Sydney Association of Professors.
He is past Chairman of the Australian Society of Gynaecological Oncologists, RPA Medical Staff Council and Sydney Local Health District Medical Staff Executive Council.
Jonathan has published 169 papers, 14 book chapters and three books.
His interests include spending quality time with his wife and trying to make the Gynaecological Oncology Unit the best it can be.
I am a senior clinician, administrator, academic, educator and researcher of 38 years’ experience. I hold specialty and subspecialty Fellowship and Certification in Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Gynaecological Oncology respectively from the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RANZCOG). I have been awarded a Master of Science and Doctorate Medicine from University of Minnesota and University of New South Wales respectively. I am a conjoint appointed Professor of The University of Sydney and have been since 2006.
I trained and worked for 6 years at the University of Minnesota USA, gaining significant and useful clinical, research, educational, administrative and personal experience. I returned to Australia in 1996 as Head of Department of Gynaecological Oncology at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPAH).
My current role is Head of the Gynaecologic Oncology Unit at the Chris O’Brien Lifehouse. I have been Head of the Gynaecological Oncology Department at both RPAH and Lifehouse for 22 years. I lead a multidisciplinary team of approximately 35 personnel (15 directly and 20 indirectly) encompassing senior medical staff, subspecialty fellows, registrars, senior resident medical officers, secretaries, clinical nurse consultants, nurse practitioner, data manager, computer programmer and indirectly specialists in medical oncology, radiation oncology, pathology, radiology, genetics, palliative care, clinic and operating theatre nursing staff.
I have chaired numerous committees and organizations including the Medical Staff Council (MSC) of RPAH; Medical Staff Executive Council (MSEC) of Sydney Local Health District (SLHD); Australian Society of Gynaecological Oncologists (ASGO); Head Gynaecology Services at RPAH and SLHD. Until recently I was a long term examiner for the certification in gynaecological oncology subspecialty examination (CGO) for RANZCOG. I am currently Chair of the Medical and Dental Appointments Committee (MDAC) and Chair of the Theatre Procedures Committee and member of the Medical Advisory Committee (MAC) at Chris O’Brien Lifehouse. I commonly cover the role of Chief Clinical Officer for Lifehouse during his absence.
My commitment to patient quality care and outcomes includes my extensive research in quality of life (QoL) and decision aids in gynaecological oncology patients. I have also researched, published and presented QoL outcomes in patients undergoing chemotherapy and in addition, patient satisfaction after inpatient and outpatient attendance at hospital and their satisfaction with our Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) or Fast Track Surgery (FTS) program. I was instrumental in development and implementation of the ERAS or FTS program for patients undergoing major gynaecological surgery at RPAH and Lifehouse. The program is now completing its 11th year and remains the benchmark from which other units compare their outcomes. My ongoing commitment to improving patient outcomes has resulted in numerous presentations and publications along with the recognition of this work by receiving numerous awards, citations and acknowledgments.
My group and I have collaborated with numerous research groups over the years including the Cancer Institute NSW; NSW Cancer Council; Australian and New Zealand Gynaecologic Oncology Group (ANZGOG); Society of Gynecologic Oncology (SGO); Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG); The Australian PET Data Collection Project; Gynecologic Cancer Intergroup (GCIG); Australian National Endometrial Cancer Study Group (ANECS); Institute of Academic Surgery (IAS) at RPAH and SLHD; the Surgical Outcomes Research Centre (SOuRCe) at RPAH and SLHD, Centre for Medical Psychology and Evidence-based Decision-making (CeMPED) at the University of Sydney, The School of Nursing and Midwifery at the University of Sydney; Gynaecological Cancer Research and Clinical Innovation Foundation (GRACI) and The Collaborative Oncological Gene-environment Study (COGS) which is a European project designed to improve understanding of genetic susceptibility to breast, ovarian and prostate cancer. This project involves several consortia: the Breast Cancer Association Consortium (BCAC), the Ovarian Cancer Association Consortium, the Prostate Cancer Association Group to Investigate Cancer Associated Alterations in the Genome (PRACTICAL) and the Consortium of Investigators of Modifiers of BRCA1/2 (CIMBA). CIMBA is a collaborative group of researchers working on genetic modifiers of cancer risk in BRCA1 and BRCA 2 mutation carriers.
I am a firm believer in openness and transparency in reporting clinical outcomes and have regularly and annually distributed in paper based form and electronically my Groups Annual Report clearly documenting our activity and importantly our outcomes (2017 Annual Report included).
As an academic I have authored or co-authored approximately 170 peer reviewed manuscripts (themes highlighted) as well as 4 books and 14 book chapters and have presented my research at numerous local, state, national and international meetings. To be promoted to level of Professor at the University of Sydney, one needs to document excellence and an international reputation and standing in the domains of teaching, research, education and administration which I have obviously achieved.
I have received numerous awards, recognitions and citations including the Virginia K. Pierce Award from The Society of Memorial Gynecologic Oncologists, Memorial and Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre USA; Viertel Clinical Investigatorship from the Sylvia & Charles Viertel Charitable Foundation; The Young Investigators Award from the Royal Australian College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists; the Turnbull Scholarship from the University of Melbourne; I was finalist in the 2011 Premiers Award for Research; awarded first place in the Sydney Local Health District Quality Awards “Improving access to timely quality healthcare”. Also awarded the SLHD Board Award for “Innovation in Healthcare in our Hospitals” and awarded first place in SLHD Quality Awards “Integrated Health Care” for the fast track surgery program. I was an invited speaker at NSW Health Innovation Symposium on “Integrated Health Care: Improving Outcomes after Major Gynaecological Surgery”.
I have worked on a number of government and non-government committees including as Expert Advisor for Health Care Complaints Commission (NSW); member Advisory Panel Australian Cervical Cancer Foundation; as Medical Practitioners Panel of Assessors, Queensland Government Department of Health; Advisory Panel member, The Australian Gynaecological Cancer Foundation; member Clinical Advisory Committee for Family Planning NSW; member Gynaecological Oncology Subgroup MBS Review Committee; member Scientific Advisory Committee for Cancer Council of NSW research program “Pathways to a cancer free future”; participant in Cancer Australia’s “Shared follow up care for women with low risk endometrial cancer”; a member of the expert reference group FPNSW Optimizing cervical cancer prevention amongst Aboriginal women in rural and remote NSW. I am a member of the clinical advisory group for ovarian cancer for NSW Cancer Institute.
My commitment to screening and early detection has encompassed my entire career. In my early non-oncology career I researched and published on numerous biochemical tests to screen for disease in pregnancy. During my early oncology academic career my research and clinical focus was on assessing tumour blood flow changes using colour flow Doppler ultrasound. More recently I have been involved in cervical cancer and screening “Pathways to a cancer free future: a protocol for modelled evaluations to maximize the future impact on cervical cancer”, as a co-author. I am a member of the Scientific Advisory Panel for the “Compass Trial”, a randomized controlled trial of primary HPV-DNA testing for cervical screening in Australia. Similarly for Family Planning NSW for their pilot study for optimizing cervical cancer prevention amongst Aboriginal women in rural and remote NSW.
I have a keen interest in education of the general public, nursing and medical students, training numerous residents, registrars and fellows both local and international. Overseas trainees have come from numerous countries including Singapore, Thailand, Holland, Jordan, Ireland, Nepal, UK and USA. I have upon my return from the United States worked closely with the Post Graduate Committee of Medicine, The University of Sydney convening numerous educational symposia and received a Certificate of Appreciation for my commitment to postgraduate education. In addition I have been course convener of the RPAH Reunion Week, Sydney Gynaecological Oncology Group Annual Scientific Meetings, ASGO-ANZGOG joint meetings and Sydney Cancer Centre 10th Year Anniversary Symposium (invited speaker Prof Ian Frazer, Australian of the Year). As an educator I have been invited to present throughout the world including New Zealand, Hong Kong, mainland China (Guangzhou and Beijing), Korea, Singapore, Jordan, Malaysia and the United States of America (Cincinnati Ohio, Honolulu Hawaii, Nashville Tennessee, Minneapolis Minnesota).
Promoting public awareness of innovative and new medical treatments is important. To this end I have appeared in the press and am comfortable in doing so, including on a number of episodes of the Channel 9 series “RPA” and have appeared in numerous print, radio and television media including Channel 9 News and ABC Radio National on the renewal of the National Cervical Screening Program.
At a government level, my exposure has been limited. I am however politically astute, having survived almost four decades in the politically charged arena of hospital politics. However, I have recently been a member of the Gynaecological Oncology subgroup for the MBS Review Committee; have had discussions with health officials whilst Chairman of ASGO; attended meetings in my capacity as Chair MSEC of SLHD with political advisors; have presented at the Australian Senate Community Affairs References Committee Inquiry into Gynaecological Cancer in Australia, Public Hearing in Parliament House, Macquarie St. I have also been invited on two occasions as guest speaker at luncheons hosted by Jillian Skinner MP, Deputy Leader of NSW Opposition, Shadow Minister for Health. Stranger’s Dining Room, Parliament House Macquarie St.
I am a quiet achiever, who has achieved a lot. I have a quiet disposition and am respected by my team, senior and junior staff alike. I am often the voice of reason in tense emotionally charged medical, personal interaction and hospital political situations. I am motivated and keen to progress to a new phase in my career.
- Carter JR. Gudgeon C. Vacuum extraction and forceps delivery in a district hospital. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1987;27:117-119.
- Carter JR. Atkinson K, Coppleson M, Elliott P, Murray J, Solomon J, Dalrymple C, Tattersall M, Duval P, Russell P, Bannatyne P. A comparative study of proliferating and invasive epithelial ovarian tumours in young women. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1989;29(3(1)):245-249.
- Carter JR. Child A. Serum uric acid levels in normal pregnancy. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1989;29(3 Pt 2):313-4.
- Carter JR. Peat B, Dalrymple C, Atkinson K. Cervical tuberculosis–case report. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1989;29(3 Pt 1):270-2.
- Dalrymple JC, Bannatyne P, Russell P, Solomon HJ, Tattersall MH, Atkinson K, Carter JR. Duval P, Elliott P, Friedlander M, et al. Extraovarian peritoneal serous papillary carcinoma. A clinicopathologic study of 31 cases. Cancer 1989;64(1):110-5.
- Carter JR. Elliott P. Syringoma–an unusual cause of pruritus vulvae. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1990;30(4):382-3.
- Carter JR. Liver function in normal pregnancy. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1990;30(4):296-302.
- Carter JR. Unusual presentations of genital tract tuberculosis. International Journal of Gynaecology & Obstetrics 1990;33(2):171-6.
- Carter JR. Carson LF, Byers L, Moradi MM, Elg SA, Adcock LL, Prem KA, Twiggs LB. Transvaginal ultrasound in gynecologic oncology. Obstetrical & Gynecological Survey 1991;46(10):687-96.
- Carter JR. Moradi MM, Elg S, Byers L, Adcock LA, Carson LF, Prem KA, Twiggs LB. Pseudomyxoma peritonei–experience from a tertiary referral centre. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1991;31(2):177-8.
- Carter JR. Serum bile acids in normal pregnancy. British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1991;98(6):540-3.
- Carter JR. Uric acid in pregnancy and preeclampsia: an alternative hypothesis.[comment]. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1991;31(1):91-2.
- Carter JR. Ramirez C, Waugh R, Atkinson K, Coppleson M, Elliott P, Murray J, Solomon J, Dalrymple C, Tattersall M, et al. Percutaneous urinary diversion in gynecologic oncology. Gynecologic Oncology 1991;40(3):248-52.
- Carter JR. Early detection of ovarian cancer by transvaginal ultrasound. Clin Devel Women’s Cancer 1991;5(1):1-4.
- Carter JR. Carson L, Twiggs L. An update on gestational trophoblastic disease. Postgraduate Obstet Gynecol 1991;11(8):1-8.
- Carter JR. Moradi M, Adcock L, Carson L, Prem K, Twiggs L. Pseudomyxoma peritonei: a local disease causing systemic effects. A review and treatment recommendations. Int J Gynecol Cancer 1991;1:243-247.
- Carter JR. Letter to the editor. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1991;31:91.
- Carter JR. Elliott P, Russell P. Bilateral fibroepithelial polypi of labium minus with atypical stromal cells. Pathology 1992;24(1):37-9.
- Carter JR. Carson LF, Elg S, Moradi M, Byers L, Adcock L, Prem K, Twiggs LB. Transvaginal sonography as an aid in the clinical staging of carcinoma of the cervix. Journal of Clinical Ultrasound 1992;20(4):283-7.
- Carlson JW, Soisson AP, Fowler JM, Carter JR. Twiggs LB, Carson LF. Rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap for primary vaginal reconstruction. Gynecologic Oncology 1993;51(3):323-9.
- Carter JR. Carlson J, Hartenbach E, Saltzman A, Fowler J, Carson L, Twiggs LB. Persistent postmolar gestational trophoblastic disease: use of transvaginal sonography and colour flow Doppler. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1993;33(4):417-9.
- Carter JR. Fowler J, Carlson J, Saltzman A, Byers L, Carson L, Twiggs LB. Transvaginal color flow Doppler sonography in the assessment of gestational trophoblastic disease. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 1993;12(10):595-9.
- Carter JR. Perrone T, Carson LF, Carlson J, Twiggs LB. Uterine malignancy predicted by transvaginal sonography and color flow Doppler ultrasonography. Journal of Clinical Ultrasound 1993;21(6):405-8.
- Carter JR. Fowler J, Carlson J, Carson L, Twiggs LB. Borderline and invasive epithelial ovarian tumors in young women. Obstetrics & Gynecology 1993;82(5):752-6.
- Carter JR. Ruhr DM, Okagaki T, Fowler JM. Uterine lipoleiomyoma: a rare tumor. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 1993;12(8):491-2.
- Carter JR. Fowler J, Carlson J, Carson L, Twiggs L. Prediction of malignancy using transvaginal color flow Doppler in patients with gynecologic tumors. Int J Gynecol Cancer 1993;3:279-284.
- Carter JR. Carlson J, Fowler J, Carson L, Twiggs L. Complications of laparoscopic surgery. Gynaecological Endoscopy 1993;2:175-180.
- Carter JR. Fowler J, Carlson J, Carson L, Twiggs L. Ovarian cancer in young women. Obstet Gynecol 1993;82:752-756.
- Carter JR. Carlson J, Fowler J, Hartenbach E, Adcock L, Carson L, Twiggs L. Invasive vulvar tumors in young women: A disease of the immunosuppressed? Gynecol Oncol 1993;51:307-310.
- Fowler JM, Carter JR. Carlson JW, Maslonkowski R, Byers LJ, Carson LF, Twiggs LB. Lymph node yield from laparoscopic lymphadenectomy in cervical cancer: a comparative study. Gynecologic Oncology 1993;51(2):187-92.
- Carlson JW, Fowler JM, Saltzman AK, Carter JR. Chen MD, Mitchell SK, Dunn D, Carson LF, Adcock LL, Twiggs LB. Chemoprophylaxis with oral ciprofloxacin in ovarian cancer patients receiving taxol. Gynecologic Oncology 1994;55(3 Pt 1):415-20.
- Carter JR. An update on ovarian cancer screening. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1994;34(2):169-74.
- Carter JR. Fowler J, Carson L, Carlson J, Twiggs LB. How accurate is the pelvic examination as compared to transvaginal sonography? A prospective, comparative study. Journal of Reproductive Medicine 1994;39(1):32-4.
- Carter JR. Saltzman A, Hartenbach E, Fowler J, Carson L, Twiggs LB. Flow characteristics in benign and malignant gynecologic tumors using transvaginal color flow Doppler. Obstetrics & Gynecology 1994;83(1):125-30.
- Carter JR. Lau M, Saltzman AK, Hartenbach EM, Chen MD, Johnson PR, Fowler JM, Carlson JW, Carson LF, Twiggs LB. Gray scale and color flow Doppler characterization of uterine tumors. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 1994;13(11):835-40.
- Carter JR. Screening for women for ovarian cancer with no family history of ovarian cancer. Int J Corr Soc Obstet Gynecol 1994;35(3):1-8.
- Carter JR. Is Topotecan the new Taxol in ovarian cancer? Clin Devel Women’s Cancer 1994;7(2):1-4.
- Carter JR. The utilization of transvaginal color flow Doppler in the assessment and management of gynecologic tumors. Cope 1994;10(5):26-28.
- Carter JR. Oakley G, Carlson J, Fowler J, Adcock L, Carson L, Twiggs L. A prospective non randomized study of alternating courses of cisplatin/cytoxan and carboplatin/etoposide in advanced ovarian cancer. It J Ob Gyn 1994;1:10-15.
- Carter JR. Letter to the editor. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1994.
- Elg S, Carson L, Brooker D, Carter JR. Twiggs L. Infectious morbidity after radical vulvectomy. Infectious Diseases in Ob Gyn 1994;2:130-135.
- Fowler JM, Hartenbach EM, Reynolds HT, Borner J, Carter JR. Carlson JW, Twiggs LB, Carson LF. Pelvic adhesion formation after pelvic lymphadenectomy: comparison between transperitoneal laparoscopy and extraperitoneal laparotomy in a porcine model. Gynecologic Oncology 1994;55(1):25-8.
- Byers LJ, Osborne JL, Carson LF, Carter JR. Haney AF, Weinberg JB, Ramakrishnan S. Increased levels of laminin in ascitic fluid of patients with ovarian cancer. Cancer Letters 1995;88(1):67-72.
- Carlson JW, Saltzman AK, Carter JR. Hartenbach EM, Johnson PR, Chen MD, Carson LF, Twiggs LB. Recurrent squamous cell carcinoma in a rectus abdominis neovagina. Gynecologic Oncology 1995;59(1):159-61.
- Carlson JW, Nazarian GK, Hartenbach E, Carter JR. Dusenbery KE, Fowler JM, Hunter DW, Adcock LL, Twiggs LB, Carson LF. Management of pelvic venous stenosis with intravascular stainless steel stents. Gynecologic Oncology 1995;56(3):362-9.
- Carter JR. Saltzman A, Chen D, Carney P, Johnson P, Hartenbach E, Fowler J, Carson L, Twiggs L. Quality of life assessment in gynaecological cancer patients. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1995;35(3):293-7.
- Carter JR. Lau M, Fowler JM, Carlson JW, Carson LF, Twiggs LB. Blood flow characteristics of ovarian tumors: implications for ovarian cancer screening. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 1995;172(3):901-7.
- Carter JR. Lau M, Twiggs L. A comparison of pulsatility and resistive indices in gynecological tumor detection using transvaginal ultrasound. Vascular Surgery 1995;29(1):29-35.
- Carter JR. Lau M. Transvaginal sonography in gynecologic oncology. The Female Patient 1995;20(4):79-88.
- Carter JR. Long term treatment of a young woman with stage IB or IC ovarian papillary serous carcinoma: surgery, adjuvant therapy or surveillance? Int J Corr Soc Obstet Gynecol 1995;36(11):5-7.
- Fowler J, Carter JR. Laparoscopic management of the adnexal mass in postmenopausal women. J Gyn Tech 1995;1(1):7-10.
- Hartenbach EM, Saltzman AK, Carter JR. Fowler JM, Hunter DW, Carlson JW, Twiggs LB, Carson LF. Nonsurgical management strategies for the functional complications of ileocolonic continent urinary reservoirs. Gynecologic Oncology 1995;59(3):358-63.
- Hartenbach EM, Saltzman AK, Carter JR. Twiggs LB. A novel strategy using G-CSF to support EMA/CO for high-risk gestational trophoblastic disease. Gynecologic Oncology 1995;56(1):105-8.
- Saltzman AK, Carter JR. Fowler JM, Carlson JW, Hartenbach EM, Julian SE, Carson LF, Twiggs LB. The utility of preoperative screening colonoscopy in gynecologic oncology. Gynecologic Oncology 1995;56(2):181-6.
- Carlson JW, McGlennen RC, Gomez R, Longbella C, Carter JR. Carson LF. Sebaceous carcinoma of the vulva: a case report and review of the literature. Gynecologic Oncology 1996;60(3):489-91.
- Carlson JW, Carter JR. Saltzman AK, Carson LF, Fowler JM, Twiggs LB. Gynecologic reconstruction with a rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap: an update. Gynecologic Oncology 1996;61(3):364-8.
- Carter JR. An update on the evaluation of the abnormal Pap smear. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1996;Supp 9(3):3-5.
- Carter JR. The assessment and management of postmenopausal bleeding. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1996;Supp 36(4):3-5.
- Twiggs L, Carter JR. Fowler J, Carson L, Herrick W, Kile R, Potish R. An estimation of the resource utilization with the introduction of laparoscopic pelvic lymphadenectomy prior to radical hysterectomy in early cervical carcinoma: a propress report from the laparoscopic study group at the Women’s Cancer Center at the University of Minnesota Health Science Center. Int J Gynecol Cancer 1996;6:267-272.
- Carter JR. Chen MD, Fowler JM, Carson LF, Twiggs LB. The effect of prolonged cycles of chemotherapy on quality of life in gynaecologic cancer patients. Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology Research 1997;23(2):197-203.
- Carter JR. Ovarian cancer early detection: facts surrounding the myths. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1997;Supp 37(1):9-11.
- Carter JR. Johnson P, Saltzman A, Chen D, Carney P, Hartenbach E, Fowler J, Carson L, Twiggs L. Lack of adverse effect on quality of life of up to 6 cycles of chemotherapy in gynecologic cancer patients. Int J Gynecol Cancer 1997;7(439-444).
- Cosin JA, Carter JR. Paley P, Chen MD, Johnson P, Fowler JM, Twiggs LB, Carson LF. A simplified method for detubularization in the construction of a continent ileocolic reservoir (Miami pouch). Gynecologic Oncology 1997;64(3):436-41.
- MacLeod C, Fowler A, Dalrymple C, Atkinson K, Elliott P, Carter JR. High-dose-rate brachytherapy in the management of high-grade intraepithelial neoplasia of the vagina. Gynecologic Oncology 1997;65(1):74-7.
- MacLeod C, Fowler A, Dalrymple C, D’Costa I, Firth I, Atkinson K, Elliott P, Carter JR. High dose rate brachytherapy in the management of carcinoma of the cervix: an 8-year Australian experience. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1997;37(3):342-347.
- MacLeod C, Fowler A, Duval P, D’Costa I, Dalrymple C, Firth I, Elliott P, Atkinson K, Carter JR. High-dose-rate brachytherapy alone post-hysterectomy for endometrial cancer. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 1998;42(5):1033-9.
- Parker J, Hayes C, Wong F, Carter JR. Laparoscopic ilioinguinal nerve injury. Gynaecological Endoscopy 1998;7:327-329.
- Carter JR. MacLeod C, Fowler A, Chan F, Dalrymple C, Wong F. Argument for the surgical staging of apparent early endometrial cancer. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1999;39(4):438-42.
- Carter JR. Cervical tumor characterization by transvaginal color flow Doppler ultrasound. Int J Gynecol Cancer 1999;9:279-284.
- Carter JR. Early screening for ovarian cancer. Int J Corr Soc Obstet Gynecol 1999;40(11):5-7.
- MacGibbon A, Bucci J, MacLeod C, Solomon J, Dalrymple C, Firth I, Carter JR. Whole abdominal radiotherapy following second-look laparotomy for ovarian carcinoma. Gynecologic Oncology 1999;75(1):62-7.
- MacLeod C, Fowler A, Duval P, D’Costa I, Dalrymple C, Elliott P, Atkinson K, Firth I, Carter JR. Adjuvant high dose rate brachytherapy with or without external beam radiotherapy posthysterectomy for endometrial cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer 1999;9:247-255.
- Nada W, Parker J, Carter JR. Choriocarcinoma developing after prolonged molar surveillance. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 1999;39(4):490-2.
- Saltzman AK, Hartenbach EM, Carter JR. Contreras DN, Twiggs LB, Carson LF, Ramakrishnan S. Transforming growth factor-alpha levels in the serum and ascites of patients with advanced epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecologic & Obstetric Investigation 1999;47(3):200-4.
- Carter JR. An experience with transvaginal sonography in gynaecologic tumour surveillance. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 2000;40(4):438-41.
- Carter JR. Re: Home within 24 hours of laparoscopic hysterectomy.[comment]. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 2000;40(1):108.
- Elliott P, Coppleson M, Russell P, Liouros P, Carter JR. MacLeod C, Jones M. Early invasive (FIGO Stage IA) carcinoma of the cervix: a clinico-pathologic study of 476 cases. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2000;10(3):42-52.
- McLeod C, Beale P, Tattersall M, Dalrymple C, Atkinson K, Carter JR. Early results of chemo-radiotherapy for the definitive treatment of cervix cancer. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 2000;40(3):341-2.
- Scolyer R, Carter JR. Russell P. Aggressive endometriosis. Report of a case. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2000;10(3):257-262.
- Vinod SK, MacLeod CA, Dalrymple C, Elliott P, Atkinson K, Carter JR. Firth I. Surgery and post-operative radiotherapy for early stage cervical cancer. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 2000;40(1):66-9.
- Carter JR. Valmadre S, Dalrymple C, Atkinson K, Young C. Management of large bowel obstruction in advanced ovarian cancer with intraluminal stents. Gynecologic Oncology 2002;84(1):176-9.
- Inthasorn P, Carter JR. Valmadre S, Beale P, Russell P, Dalrymple C. Analysis of clinicopathologic factors in malignant mixed Mullerian tumors of the uterine corpus. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2002;12(4):348-53.
- Valmadre S, Atkinson K, Houghton R, Carter JR. McKenzie P, Russell P, Dalrymple C. High grade abnormalities following an ‘inconclusive’ smear. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 2002;42(4):391-4.
- Varol N, Maher P, Vancaillie T, Cooper M, Carter JR. Kwok A, Pesce A, Reid G. A literature review and update on the prevention and management of fluid overload in endometrial resection and hysteroscopic surgery. Gynaecological Endoscopy 2002;11:19-26.
- Carter JR. Why is the rest of the world moving to liquid based cytology and human papilloma virus (HPV) triage? Aust J Gen Practice 2003;3(5):4-5.
- Carter JR. Letter to the editor. Medical Observer 2003.
- Inthasorn P, Beale P, Dalrymple C, Carter JR. Malignant mixed mullerian tumour of the ovary: prognostic factor and response of adjuvant platinum-based chemotherapy. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 2003;43(1):61-4.
- Joshua AM, Carter JR. Beale P. The use of taxanes in choriocarcinoma; a case report and review of the literature. Gynecologic Oncology 2004;94(2):581-3.
- Liu J, Rose B, Huang X, Liao G, Carter JR. Wu X, Thompson C. Comparative analysis of characteristics of women with cervical cancer in high- versus low-incidence regions. Gynecologic Oncology 2004;94(3):803-10.
- Rao A, Land R, Carter JR. Management of upper gastrointestinal obstruction in advanced ovarian cancer with intraluminal stents. Gynecol Oncol 2004:;95(3): 739-741
- Wei L, Thompson CH, Cossart YE, O’Brien CJ, Liu J, Scolyer RA, Carter JR, Dalrymple C, Rose B. The site of infection and ethnicity of the patient influence the biological pathways to HPV-induced mucosal cancer. Modern Pathology 2003 2004;17(9):1031-1037
- Santos LD, Carter JR. Killingsworth M. Polypoid endometrioma of the rectal serosa and retroperitoneal endometriosis in a 70-year-old woman. Pathology 2004;36(1):91-4.
- Land R, Carter JR, Houghton R, Atkinson K, Dalrymple C. Gynaecology meets neurology: Paraneoplastic cerebellar degeneration. Aust NZ J Obstet Gynaecol 2005;45(1):79.
- Paramasivam S, Tripcony L, Crandon A, Quinn M, Hammond I, Marsden D, Proietto A, Davy M, Carter JR, Nicklin J, Perrin L, Obermair A. Prognostic importance of preoperative CA125 in FIGO stage I epithelial ovarian cancer: an Australian Multicenter Study. JCO 2005;23(25):5938-5942.
- Dray M, Russell P, Dalrymple C, Wallman N, Angus G, Leong A, Carter JR, Cheerala B. p16INK4a as a complementary marker of high-grade intraepithelial lesions of the uterine cervix. I: Experience with squamous lesions in 189 consecutive cervical biopsies. Pathology 2005; 37(2): 112-124.
- Pather S, Carter JR. The use of the laparoscopic Endoclose device to insert external retention sutures in a morbidly obese patient at laparotomy. J Gyn Surgery 2005;21(3):125-127.
- Carter JR, Pather S.An overview of uterine cancer and its management. Expert Rev. Anticancer Ther 2006;6(1):33-41
- Harrison J, Carter JR, Young J, Solomon M. Difficult clinical decisions in gynaecologic oncology: identifying priorities for future clinical research. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2006;16:1-7.
- Carter JR, Sim J, Land R, Dalrymple C, Abdel-Hadi M, Pather S. Recurrence After Treatment for High Grade Dysplasia: Should We Modify Our Post Treatment Surveillance Protocols? Aust NZ J Obstet Gynaecol 2006;46:360-362
- Carter JR, Pather S, Abdel-Hadi M, Nattress K, Dalrymple C, Beale P. Not all ovarian cysts in young woman are benign. A case series and review of the management of complex adnexal masses in young women. Aust NZ J Obstet Gynaecol 2006; 46(4):350-355
- Pather S, O’Leary M, Carter JR. An overview of uterine cancer and its management. Womens Health. 2007 3(1).
- Susman, M, Cooper, C, Cooper M, Carter, JR, Russell P. (2007). “Gonadoblastoma progressing to dysgerminoma in a 55-year-old woman with normal karyotype.” Pathology 2007; 39: 284.
- Obermair A, Fuller A, Lopez-Varela E, van Gorp T, Vergote I, Eaton L, Fowler J, Quinn M, Hammond I, Marsden D, Proietto A, Carter JR, Davy M, Tripcony L, Abu-Rustum N. A new prognostic model for FIGO stage 1 epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecologic Oncology 2007;104:607-11.
- Pather S, Atkinson K, Wang I, Russell P, Kesby G, Carter JR. Virilization in pregnancy due to a borderline mucinous ovarian tumor. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research. 2007;33(3):384-7.
- Dalrymple C, Valmadre S, Cook A, Atkinson K, Carter JR, Houghton CRS, Russell P. Cold knife versus laser cone biopsy for adenocarcinoma in situ of the cervix-a comparison of management and outcome. International Journal of Gynecological Cancer 2008; 18: 116-120
- Stanwell P, Russell P, Carter J, Pather S, Heintze S, Mountford C. Evaluation of ovarian tumors by proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy at three Tesla. Investigative radiology. 2008 Oct;43(10):745-51.
- Al-Rayyan ES, Duqoum WJ, Sawalha, MS, Nascimento MC, Pather S, Dalrymple JC, Carter JR. Secondary malignancies in ovarian dermoid cyst. Saudi Med J 2009; 30(4):179-183
- Fulham MJ, Carter J, Baldey A, Hicks RJ, Ramshaw JE, Gibson M. The impact of PET-CT in suspected recurrent ovarian cancer: A prospective multi-centre study as part of the Australian PET Data Collection Project. Gynecologic Oncology. 2009;112(3):462-8.
- Rao A, Pather S, Dalrymple C, Mackie A, Deans R, Carter JR. The role of HPV testing in patients with possible high-grade cytology. J Obstet Gynecol Research 2009, 35(3):503-506
- Fulham MJ, Carter J, Hicks RJ. The impact of PET-CT in suspected recurrent ovarian cancer: A prospective multi-centre study as part of the Australian PET Data Collection Project. Gynecologic Oncology. Letter. Gynecol Oncol 2009; 114(3):536-537
- Harrison JD, Juraskova I, Anderson C, Nattress K, Beale P, Lopez A, Carter J. Cancer Antigen 125 Level and the Type and Timing of Treatment for Recurrent Ovarian Cancer A Clinical Dilemma, But What Would Women Do? Int J Gynecol Cancer 2009;19: 1037-1046
- Chunping J, Pather S, Dalrymple C, Al-Rayyan E, Nascimento M, Beale P, Jackson M, Milross C, Carter J. Experience with Uterine Leiomyosarcoma: A study of 22 cases. International Medicine and Health Guidance News. August 2009, Vol.15 No.17: 24-28
- Welsh AW, Ellwood D, Carter J, Peduto AJ, Vedelago J, Bennett M. Opinion: Integration of diagnostic and management perspectives for placenta accreta. ANZJ Obstet Gynaecol 2009;49:578-587
- Gainford MC, Tinker A, Carter J, Petru E, Nicklin J, Quinn M, Hammond I, Elit L, Lenhard M, Friedlander M. Malignant Transformation within Ovarian Dermoid Cysts. An Audit of Treatment Received and Patient Outcomes. An Australia New Zealand Gynaecological Oncology Group (ANZGOG)and Gynaecologic Cancer Intergroup (GCIG) Study”. Int J Gyn Cancer 2010;20:75-81
- Carter J, Szabo R, Sim, W, Pather S, Dalrymple C, Philp S, Patel P, Nattress K, Cotterell S. Fast track surgery: a clinical Audit. Aust NZJ Obstet Gynecol 2010; 50:159-163
- Arora V, Nattress K, Philp S, Pather S, Dalrymple C, Atkinson A, Smirnova S, Cotterell S, Carter J. Patient Satisfaction with In-patient Care Provided by the Sydney Gynaecological Oncology Group. Patient Related Outcome Measures. 2010;1:179-184
- Carter, J. Laparoscopy or laparotomy for early endometrial cancer?. The Lancet Oncology. p. 1021-1022
- Carter J, Philp S, Arora V. Fast track gynaecologic surgery in the overweight and obese patient. Int J Clinical Med 2010;1(2):64-69
- Pather S, Tai D, Philp S, Nattress K, Carter J, Dalrymple C, Atkinson K. A prospective study assessing patient satisfaction at a large tertiary gynecologic oncology/dysplasia unit. Patient Related Outcome Measures. 2010; 1:149-152.
- Carter J, Ding Z, Rose B. HPV and cervical disease: a review. Aust NZJ Obstet Gynaecol 2011; 51:103-108
- Carter J, Philp S, Arora V. Early Discharge after Major Gynaecological Surgery: Advantages of Fast Track Surgery. OJOG 2011; 1:1-5
- Ding Z, Jiang C, Shore T, Pather S, Dalrymple C, Atkinson K, Murali R, Al-Rayyan E, Luo K, Carter J. The outcome of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia 2 diagnosed by punch biopsy in 131 women. J Obstet Gynaecol Res 2011; 37(7):754-761
- Rao A, Carter J. Ultrasound screening and ovarian cancer: is there a future? J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2011;18(1):24-30
- Lim C, Leecy T, McKenzie P, Pather S, Carter J. Russell P. Two cases of adenosquamous carcinoma of the cervix with extensive in situ and invasive endometrial extension. Int J Gynecol Path 2011 30(2):193-197
- Anderson C, Carter J, Nattress K, Beale P, Philp S, Harrison J, Juraskova I. “The booklet helped me not to panic”: A pilot of a decision aid for asymptomatic women with ovarian cancer and with rising CA-125 levels. International Journal of Gynecological Cancer. 2011; 21(4):737-743
- Carter J, Smirnova S. A personal experience with radical abdominal trachelectomy for the conservative management of invasive cervical cancer. Aust NZ J Obstet Gynaecol 2011;51:177-183
- Carter J, Philp S. Assessing outcomes after fast track surgical management of corpus cancer. OJOG 2011;1:139-143
- Carter J. Letter to the Editor. Recognition and management of laparoscopic complications. O&G Magazine 2011; 13(3):80
- Carter J. Laparoscopy or Laparotomy for Endometrial Cancer. A review of three prospective randomized trials. Aust NZJ Obstet Gynaecol 2011;51:387-392
- Pather S, Loadsman JA, Mansfield C, Rao A, Arora V, Philp S, Carter J. Perioperative outcomes after total laparoscopic hysterectomy compared with fast-track open hysterectomy: a retrospective case-control study. Aust NZ J Obstet Gynaecol 2011;51:393-396
- Carter J, Philip S. Development and extended experience with a fast track surgery program in a gynaecological oncology service. Open Women’s Health Journal 2011;5:7-10
- Pather S, Won H, Carter J. A borderline serous tumour of the broad ligament complicating pregnancy. A brief report : J. Obstet Gynaecol 2011;31:350-351.
- Pather S, Loadsman JA, Gopalan PD, Rao A, Philp S, Carter J. The role of transversus abdominus plane blocks in women undergoing total laparoscopic hysterectomy: a retrospective review. Aust NZ J Obstet Gynaecol 2011;51:544-547
- Tang A, Kondalsamy-Chennakesavan S, Ngan H, Zusterzeel P, Quinn M, Carter J, Leung Y, Obermair A. Prognostic value of preoperative serum CA125 in ovarian tumors of low malignant potential: a multicenter collaborative study. Gynecol Oncol 2012;126:36-40.
- Carter J. Letter to Editor. ANZJ Obstet Gynaecol 2012; 52:496-497
- Bonner C, Nattress K, Anderson C, Carter J, Milross C, Philp S, Juraskova I. Chore or priority? Barriers and facilitators affecting dilator use after pelvic radiotherapy for gynaecological cancer. Supportive Care in Cancer 2012; 20(10):2305-2313
- Carter J. Fast track surgery in gynaecology and gyneacologic oncology. A review of a rolling clinical audit. ISRN Surgery, vol. 2012, Article ID 368014, 19 pages, 2012. doi:10.5402/2012/368014.
- Carter J. Letter to Editor, Gynecol Oncol 2013; 128:147-152
- Obermair A, Tang A, Kondalsamy-Chennakesavan, S, Ngan H, Zusterzeel P, Quinn M, Carter J, Leung Y, Janda M. Nomogram to predict the probability of relapse in patients diagnosed with borderline ovarian tumors. Int J Gynecol Cancer 2013;23:264-267
- Carter J. A contemporary review of uterine cancer management. ANZJOG 2013; 53(6):517-524
- Carter J. Letter to Editor. Obstet Gynecol. Enhanced recovery in gynecologic surgery. Obstet Gynecol 2013; 122(6):1305
- Carter J, Philp S, O’Connell R. A 5-Year review of gynaecological oncology patients managed by a fast track surgery program. IJCM 2014; 5: 36-41
- Wan KM, Rhou YJJ, Berges, T, Campbell N, Carter J, Anderson L, Pather S. Pelvic actinomycosis mimicking ovarian cancer: a report of 3 cases and review of the literature. Austin J Obstet & Gynecol 2014;1(3):1-3
- Ahmadi N, Tan KK, Solomon MJ, Al-Mozany N, Carter J. Pelvic exenteration for primary and recurrent gynecologic malignancies is safe and achieves acceptable long-term outcomes. J Gynecol Surg 2014;30(5):255-259
- Blein S, Bardel, C, Danjean L including Carter J et al. An original phylogenetic approach identified mitochondrial haplogroup T1å1 as inversely associated with breast cancer risk in BRCA2 mutation carriers. Breast Cancer Research 2015; 17:61-76
- Philp S, Carter J, Pather S, Barnett C, D’Abrew N & White K. (2015) Patients’ Perspectives of Fast Track Surgery and the Role of the Fast Track Clinical Nurse Consultant in Gynaecological Oncology. Holist Nurs Pract. 2015; 29(3):158-166.
- Philp S, Carter J, Pather S, Barnett C, D’Abrew N, White K. Patients’ satisfaction with fast-track surgery in gynaecological oncology. European J Cancer Care 2015; 24:567-573
- Richards A, Herbst U, Manalang J, Pather S, Saidi S, Tejada-Berges T, Tan K, Williams P, Carter J. HE4, CA125, the Risk of Malignancy Algorithm and Risk of Malignancy Index and complex pelvic masses. A Prospective comparison in the pre-operative evaluation of pelvic masses in an Australian population. ANZJOG 2015: 55:493-497
- Rhou YJJ, Pather S, Loadsman JA, Campbell N, Philp S, Carter J. Direct hospital costs of total laparoscopic hysterectomy compared with fast track open hysterectomy at a tertiary hospital: a retrospective case controlled study. Aust NZ, J Obstet Gynaecol 2015; 55:584-587.
- Blain G, Richards A, Pather S, Carter J, Saidi S. A retrospective observational study for the outcomes of women presenting to a colposcopy clinic with a high grade Pap smear-implications for a “see and treat” approach to management. Aust NZJ Obstet Gynaecol 2016; 56:207-211
- Wan KM, Carter J, Philip S. Predictors of early discharge after open gynaecological surgery in the setting of an Enhanced Recovery After Surgery protocol. J Obstet Gynecol Research 2016; 42(10): 1369-1374.
- Mittal P, Klingler-Hoffman M, Arentz G, Winderbaum L, Lokman NA, Zhang C, Anderson L, Scurry J, Leung Y, Stewart C, Carter J, Kaur G Oehler M, Hoffmann. Lymph node metastasis of primary endometrial cancers: associated proteins revealed by MALDI imaging. Proteomics 2016; 16:1793-1801
- Carter J, Wan KM, Philp S. Optimising recovery after surgery. Predictors of early discharge and hospital readmission. ANZJOG 2016; 56:489-495.
- Ovarian Cancer Association Consortium, Breast Cancer Association Consortium, and Consortium of Modifiers of BRCA1 and BRCA2, Hollestelle A, van der Baan FH, Berchuck A, Johnatty S, Aben KK, Agnarsson BA, Aittomäki K, Alducci E, Andrulis IL, Anton-Culver H, Antonenkova NN, Antoniou AC, Apicella C, Arndt V, Arnold N, Arun BK, Arver B, Ashworth A, Australian Ovarian Cancer Study Group, Baglietto L, Balleine R, Bandera EV, Barrowdale D, Bean YT, Beckmann L, Beckmann MW, Benitez J, Berger A, Berger R, Beuselinck B, Bisogna M, Bjorge L, Blomqvist C, Bogdanova NV, Bojesen A, Bojesen SE, Bolla MK, Bonanni B, Brand JS, Brauch H, Breast Cancer Family Register, Brenner H, Brinton L, Brooks-Wilson A, Bruinsma F, Brunet J, Brüning T, Budzilowska A, Bunker CH, VALIDHTML, Burwinkel B, Butzow R, Buys SS, Caligo MA, Campbell I, Carter J et al. No clinical utility of KRAS variant rs61764370 for ovarian or breast cancer. Gynecologic Oncology Volume 141, Issue 2, May 2016, Pages 386–401
- Carter J. The renewal of the National Cervical Screening Program. Editorial. MJA 2016; 205(8):357-358
- Rebbeck R, Friebel T, Mitra N, Fei F, Chen S, Andrulis I, Apostolou P, Arnold N, Arun B, Barrowdale D, Benitez J, Berger R, Berthet P, Borg A,
- Buys S, Caldes T, Carter J et al. Inheritance of Deleterious Mutations at Both BRCA1 and BRCA2 in an International Sample of 32,295 Women. Breast Cancer Research 2016; 18(1):112-131.
- Mittal P, Klingler-Hoffmann M, Arentz G, Winderbaum L, Kaur G, Anderson L, Scurry J. Leung Y, Stewart C, Carter J, Hoffman P, Oehler M. Annexin A2 and alpha actinin 4 expression correlates with metastatic potential of primary endometrial cancer, Biochim. Biophys. Acta (2016), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bbapap.2016.10.010
- Morton R, Anderson L, Carter J, Pather S, Saidi S. Intraoperative frozen section of ovarian tumors: a 6-year review and performance of potential pitfalls in an Australian tertiary referral centre. In J Gynecol Cancer 2017; 27:17-21
- Carter J. Hammond I, Smith M. The renewal of the National Cervical Screening Program. Med J Aust 2017; 206 (6): 274.
- Karami JH, Luo K, Fung T, Carter J, Ding Z. An investigation of survival following ovarian cancer. Malays.J.Med.Biol.Res 2017; 4(1):27-33
- Playdon MC, Nagle CM, Ibiebele T, Ferrucci LM, Protani MM, Carter J, Hyde S, Neesham D, Nicklin J, Mayne ST, Webb PM. Pre-diagnosis diet and survival after a diagnosis of ovarian cancer. British J Cancer, doi:10.1038/bjc.2017.120. British Journal of Cancer
volume 116, issue 12, year 2017, pp. 1627 – 1637
- Farrell R, Dixon S, Carter J, Webb PM. Lymphadenectomy in early-stage intermediate/high-risk endometrioid endometrial cancer: clinical characteristics and outcomes in an Australian cohort. Int J Gyn Cancer 2017; 27(7): 1379-1386
- Hayes S, Janda M, Leigh C, Ward LC, Reul-Hirche H, Carter J, Quinn M, Steele ML, Cornish B, Obermair A. Lymphedema following gynecological cancer: Results from a prospective, longitudinal cohort study. Gynecol Oncol. 2017: 146(3):623-629
- Gane EM, Steele ML, Janda M, Ward LC, Reul-Hirche H, Carter J, Quinn M, Obermair A, Hayes SC. The Prevalence, Incidence, and Quality-of-Life Impact of Lymphedema After Treatment for Vulvar or Vaginal Cancer. Rehabilitation Oncology. 2018;36(1):48-55. DOI: 1097/01.REO.0000000000000102
- Carter J, Pather S, Nascimento M. Clinical Opinion: Current Status of Ovarian Cancer Surgical Management. Argument for Centralization of Care in Australia. ANZJOG 2018; 58:474-477.
- Velentzis LS, Smith MA, Simms KT, Lew JB, Hall M, Hughes S, Yuill S, Killen J, Keane A, Butler , Darlington-Brown J, Hui H, Lawrence B, Brotherton J, Skinner R, Brand A, Heley S, Carter J, Bateson D, Frazer I, Garland S, Guy R, Hammond I, Grogan P, Arbyn M, Castle P, Saville M, Armstrong BK, Canfell K. Pathways to a cancer-free future: a protocol for modelled evaluations to maximize the future impact on cervical cancer in Australia. Gynecol Oncol 2018, In Press.
- Carter J. Letter to Editor. ANZJOG-2018-0417. 19th November 2018. In Press.
- Pather S, Tejada Berges T, Saidi S, Carter J. Letter to the Editor. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for advanced ovarian cancer. Who really benefits? Aust NZJ Obstet Gynaecol 2018; 58(6); E25-E26.
- Ferreira M, Al-Ejeh F, Campa D, Gamazon E, Parsons M, Spurdle A, Beesley J, Chenevix-Trench G, Campbell I, Beckmann M, Giles G, Milne R, Hopper J, Makalic E, Clarke C, Daly M, Spinelli J, Nevelsteen I, Lambrechts D, Goldberg M, Simard J, Soucy P, L. Andrulis IL, Glendon G, Mulligan AM, Torres D, Flyger H, Bojesen S, Aittomäki, K Kiiski J, Nevanlinna H, Blomqvist C, Mannermaa A, Winqvist R, Guenel P, Truong T, Ko YD, Schmutzler R, Wappenschmidt B, García-Sáenz J, Dork T, Park-Simon TW, Bogdanova N, Christiansen H, Hamann U, Mehdi Manoochehri TM, Behrens S, Chang-Claude J, Arndt V, Brenner H, Burwinkel B, Engel C, Brauch H, Konstantopoulou I, Yannoukakos D, Peterlongo P, Kristensen V, Gronwald J, Southey M, Jakubowska A, Kaczmarek K, Lubinski J, Khusnutdinova E, Bermisheva M, Meindl A, Benitez J, Gonzalez-Neira A, Osorio A, Czene K, Eriksson M, Gabrielson M, Hall P, He W, Humphreys K, Wendt C, van Asperen C, Dunning A, Pharoah P, Easton D, Barnes D, Barrowdale D, Humphreys M, Dennis J, Frost D, Leslie G, McGuffog L, Michailidou K, Wang Q, EMBRACE, Antoniou A, Sawyer E, Fletcher O, Johnson N, Dwek M, Presneau N, Cross S, Cox A, Jones M, Swerdlow A, Kraft P, Toland A, Neuhausen S, John E, Hoover R, Anton-Culver H, Ziogas A, Fasching P, Haiman C, Long J, Shu XO, Zheng W, Joseph V, Offit K, Vachon C, Couch F, Devilee P, Montagna M, Moserle L, Stone J, Kühl T, Thöne K, Ellberg C, Olsson H, Jakimovska M, Plaseska-Karanfilska D, Saloustros E, Mavroudis D, Arun B, Sharma P, Hogervorst F, Manuela Gago-Dominguez M, Jose Castelao J, Carter BD, Gapstur S, Gaudet M, Heyworth J, Olopade O, Taylor J, Eccles D, Rennert G, Aronson K, Canzian F, Lindstrom S, Menon U, Goldgar D, Terry MB, Chanock S, Garcia-Closas M, Yang X, Risch H, Rantala J, Chung W, Janavicius R, Nikitina-Zake L, Tung N, van Rensburg E, Nielsen F, Ejlertsen B, Sanden K, Weitzel J, Viel A, Azzollini J, Garber J, Godwin A, Vega A, Claes K, PoppeB, Hulick P, Greene M, Loud J, Karlan B, Lester J, Thomassen M, Peixoto A, Teixeira M, Nathanson K, Olah E, Papp J, Borg A, Asseryanis E, Singer C, Isaacs C, Lázaro C, Miller A, Tischkowitz M, GEMO Study, Balmaña J, Thull D, Arason A, Teulé A, Lesueur L, Imyanitov E, Diez O, Laitman Y, James P, Pedersen IS, HEBON Investigators, Friedman E, Ganz P, Nussbaum R, Margolin S, Tapper W, Caligo M, Carter J, Jankowitz R, Broeks A, Schmidt M, Hollestelle A, van den Ouweland A, Radice P, Caldés T, de la Hoya M, BCFR Investigators, and GC-HBOC Collaborators. Genome-wide association and transcriptome studies identify target genes and risk loci for breast cancer. In Press Nature Communications 2018; #NCOMMS-18-14918B.
- Rodgers R, Carter J, Reid G, Krishan S, Ludlow J, Cooper M, Abbott J. The effect of laparoscopic salpingectomy for ectopic pregnancy on the ovarian reserve. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynaecology. 2018 (Submitted).
- Carter JR. An Atlas of Transvaginal Ultrasound. 1st ed. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott Company; 1994 ISBN 0-397-51460-3.
- Carter JR. Ecografia Transvaginale. Atlante per il ginecologo. Roma: Antonio Delfino Editore medicina-scienze.; 1996 ISBN 88-72-87-102-6.
- Carter JR. Clinical Practice and Management Policies. The Sydney Gynaecologic Oncology Group. Sydney: Sydney Cancer Centre; 2004 ISBN 0-646-44209-0.
- Carter JR. The vacuum extractor. In: Studd J, editor. Progress in Obstetrics and Gynaecology: Churchill Livingstone Press; 1990. p. 137-154.
- Carter JR. Carson L, Twiggs L. Gynecologic Oncology. In: David Nyberg LH, Marcela Bohm-Velez and Ellen Mendelson, editor. Transvaginal Ultrasound: Mosby Year Book Publishers; 1992. p. 241-265.
- Carter JR. Twiggs L. The role of transvaginal sonography in gynaecologic oncology: Churchill Livingstone Press; 1993.
- Anderson J, Carter JR. Ultrasonography of Pathological Pregnancy Conditions: Churchill Livingstone Publishers; 1999 0-443-05239-5.
- Carter JR. Ultrasound Screening for Gynaecological Malignancy. London: Churchill Livingstone Publishers; 1999 0-443-05239-5.
- Carter JR. Ultrasonography of Malignant Neoplasms Metastatic to the Female Genital Tract: Churchill Livingstone Publishers; 1999 0-443-05239-5.
- Carter JR. Gynaecological Cancers: Surgical Management. Amsterdam: Harwood Academic/Gordon and Breach Science International Publishers; 1999 90-5702-470-5.
- Carter JR. Surgery for Advanced Ovarian Cancer. Greer, B: Current Medicine, Inc; 1999 0-8385-0316-0.
- Carter JR. Elliott P. Changing trends in the epidemiology of cervical cancer: Oxford University Press; 2000 019-588545-7.
- Carter JR. Primary Surgery for Ovarian Cancer in Gynecologic Cancer. In: Gershenson G, McGuire, Quinn, Thomas, editor. Controversies in Management: Elsevier Churchill Livingstone Publishers; 2004. p. 399-409.
- Carter JR. Ovarian and Fallopian Tube Cancer: A GMTT Funded Project; 2004 ISBN 1-74080-0605.
- Carter JR . Prognostic factors in advanced gynaecological cancer. In: Glare P, Christakis N, eds. Prognosis in advanced cancer : Oxford University Press 2008:187-99.
- Carter JR. Cervical Screening in Women’s Health an Evidence Base Guide. Edited by Abbott J, Bowyer L, Finn M. Elsevier Australia. 2013
- Carter JR. Cervical Cancer in Women’s Health an Evidence Base Guide. Edited by Abbott J, Bowyer L, Finn M. Elsevier Australia. 2013.