Dr Michael Yunaev
MBBS (U.Syd), MPH, BMedSci (Honours), MS (Breast Surgery), FRACS (General Surgery), BreastSurgANZ Oncoplastic Breast Fellow, Aesthetic Breast Fellow
Dr Michael Yunaev is an oncoplastic breast, general and cosmetic surgeon and is the principal doctor at the Breast & Body Clinic. Dr Yunaev is a highly-trained surgeon with extensive experience in and a passion for the treatment of all aspects of breast cancer surgery, benign and congenital breast disease, aesthetic breast and body surgery and general surgery.
Dr Yunaev completed his Fellowship in General Surgery with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons while based in Westmead Hospital as a registrar. As a consultant in general surgery he went on to do a further two-year fellowship through BreastSurgANZ, focusing on breast cancer surgery, breast reconstruction and oncoplastic techniques for breast conservation. He worked with some of Australia’s earliest pioneers in this field.
During this time, he deepened his understanding of the underlying process and treatment of breast disease through a Master of Surgery at Sydney University. He also promoted improved training in oncoplastic breast surgery in Australia through his research and dissertation.
After completing his Oncoplastic Fellowship, he went on to train as an aesthetic surgeon focusing on breast and body, training with Sydney’s leading plastic and cosmetic surgeons for a further two years. At the same time, he founded the Breast & Body Clinic to provide the benefits of his extensive training to his patients, with a focus on the provision of excellent patient-centred care.
Dr Yunaev is an active member of the Breast Surgeons Australia and New Zealand Society, the Australasian Society for Breast Disease, General Surgeons Australia and the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. He is involved in the training of a younger generation of surgeons through the Royal College of Surgeons and is active in research in his chosen field.
BreastSurgANZ, ASBD, GSA, RACS
Current Teaching Positions
RACS Instructor on ASSET Coarse, SET General Surgery intake Interview Committee member
- Advancements in Breast Cancer Surgery, Yunaev M, The Doctor, 2016
- A difficult diagnosis: strangulated obturator hernia in an 88 year-old woman.” Leitch, Megan; Yunaev, Michael, BMJ Case Reports, 2016
- Active Surveillance in DCIS: Is it a viable option? Yunaev, M, The Doctor, 2016
- The Role of Extended Endocrine Treatment in Breast Cancer, Yunaev, M, The Doctor, 2016
- Appendicitis within an obturator hernia. Mitchel, D and Yunaev, M. BMJ Case Reports, 2015
- Benign breast disorders: Practical guide and when to refer, Yunaev M, The Doctor, 2015
- Oncoplastic breast surgery increases patient access to reconstruction, Yunaev M, The Doctor, 2015
- Oncoplastic Breast Surgery offers unique benefits, Yunaev M, The Doctor, 2014
- Late Nipple Necrosis due to Microvascular Dysfunction after Breast Reduction. Yunaev M and Martin R, The Breast Journal 2014
- Oncoplastic Breast Surgery in Australia&NZ – 2014 and Beyond. Yunaev M and Hingston G, Gland Surgery 2014, 3(1): 77-80
- A rare case of ameloblastic carcinoma ex-ameloblastoma and literature review, Yunaev M, Abdul-Razak M, Coleman H et al, ENT Journal 2014, 93:E34
- Oncoplastic Breast Surgery – a Regional Australian 2012 Fellowship Experience. Michael Yunaev, Guy Hingston, ANZJ 2013, 83: 624-629
- Abdominal Tuberculosis – An easily forgotten diagnosis. Yunaev M, Ling A, Abbas S, Suen M,Pleass H, ANZJ 2011, 81:559-560
- Appendicitis secondary to metastatic small cell lung cancer. Yunaev M, Mahajan H, Suen M. Pathology 2011, 43(3): 284-7
- Systemic Mastocytosis and surgery a potential disaster. Yunaev M. Hughes TM. Abdul-Razak M. ANZ Journal of Surgery. 2010 80(11):860-1
- Changes in the distribution of different subtypes of P2X receptor clusters on smooth muscle cells in relation to nerve varicosities in the pregnant rat urinary bladder. Yunaev MA, Barden JA, Bennett MR J. Neurocytology 2000, 29:99-108