Dr Arthur J Kaffes
Dr Kaffes was a student at the UNSW and after completing his internal medicine and gastroenterology training spent 3 years learning advanced and therapeutic endoscopic and colonoscopic techniques in leading international centres. After completing this training Dr Kaffes joined the team at RPAH in 2005 and introduced new procedures such as endoscopic ultrasound and balloon enteroscopy to RPAH.
Dr Kaffes has published widely in international journals in the field of small bowel disease (particularly obscure iron deficiency), pancreatico-biliary disease and colonoscopy quality. Dr Kaffes has also commenced training/education courses in these areas of endoscopy through RPAH with annual live courses.
Dr Kaffes is invited as an expert in endoscopy and colonoscopy to leading international meetings in the USA and Asia and workshops from leading endoscopy centres world wide. In addition, Dr Kaffes has been involved with innovating new devices including an EUS biopsy needle and a biliary stent for liver transplant patients.
In recent years a focus on advancing colonoscopy has led to multiple publications in this area and ongoing research to better colonoscopy practice. For additional information please visit www.kaffes.com.
1. AJ Kaffes, L Hughes, J Hollinshead, PH Katelaris. Synchronous primary adenocarcinoma, MALT lymphoma and a stromal tumour in a Helicobacter pylori infected stomach. Case Report. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2002;17:1033-6.
2. AJ Kaffes, A Alrubaie, M Hollands, MJ Bourke, SJ Williams. Spontaneous bile leak 6 years after an uneventful cholecystectomy. Case Report. Gastrointest Endosc 2003;57:985-7.
3. PVJ Sriram, AJ Kaffes, MA Mateen, GV Rao, DN Reddy. Endosonographic Features of Primary Esophageal Melanoma. Case Report. Digestive Endoscopy 2004;16:249-52.
4. AJ Kaffes, A Mishra, S Simpson, DB Jones. A 10-year audit of upper gastrointestinal tract endoscopic ultrasound and the influence on clinical management. Intern Med J 2002;32:372-8.
5. AJ Kaffes, J Cullen, PH Katelaris. Effect of Helicobacter pylori infection and low dose aspirin use on iron stores in the elderly. J Gastroenterolo Hepatol 2003;18:1024-8.
6. AJ Kaffes, A Mishra, S Ding, R Hope, SJ Williams, PE Gillespie, MJ Bourke. A prospective randomized trail of variable stiffness paediatric versus standard instrument colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2003;58:685-9.
7. DN Reddy, AJ Kaffes, PVJ Sriram, GV Rao. Capsule endoscopic features of Crohn’s disease. Digestive Endoscopy 2004;16:138-42.
8. AJ Kaffes, L Hourigan, N DeLuca, K Byth, SJ Williams, MJ Bourke. Impact of endoscopic intervention in 100 patients with suspected postcholecystectomy bile leak. Gastrointest Endosc 2005;61:269-75.
9. AJ Kaffes, PVJ Sriram, MA Mateen, GV Rao, DN Reddy. EUS in pancreatic pseudocyst drainage complicated by portal hypertension and collateral vessels: results in eight patients. Endoscopy 2005;37:231-5.
10. AJ Kaffes, PVJ Sriram, MA Mateen, GV Rao, DN Reddy. A prospective study using the early institution of needle knife cut for therapeutic biliary ERCP in failed standard biliary cannulation. Gastrointest Endosc 2005;61:269-75.
11. AJ Kaffes, M Murray, V Kwan, A Alrubaie, SL Ding, SJ Williams, MJ Bourke. A prospective randomized double blind placebo controlled trial of Transdermal GTN in ERCP: effects on technical success and post-ERCP pancreatitis. Gastrointest Endosc 2006;64(3):351-7.
12. MA Mateen, AJ Kaffes, PVJ Sriram, GV Rao, DN Reddy. A modified technique of high-resolution ultrasonography in examination of the cervical esophagus: A comparative study in 100 normal subjects. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006;21(11):1660-3.
13. AJ Kaffes, JH Koo, C Meredith. Double-Balloon Enteroscopy In The Diagnosis And Management Of Small Bowel Diseases: An Initial Experience In 40 Patients. Bankstown Hospital. Gastrointest Endosc 2006;63:81-6.
14. Kwan V, Bourke MJ, Williams SJ, Gillespie PE, Murray MA, Kaffes AJ, Henriquez MS, Chan RO. Argon plasma coagulation in the management of symptomatic gastrointestinal vascular lesions: experience in 100 consecutive patients with long-term follow-up. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006;101:58-63.
15. Kaffes AJ. Achieving total enteroscopy with capsule endoscopy in all patients:are we stretching the limits of technology? Gastrointest Endosc. 2009;69(1):81-3.
16. Kaffes AJ, Siah C, Koo JH. Clinical outcomes after double-balloon enteroscopy in patients with obscure GI bleeding and a positive capsule endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc. 2007;66(2):304-9.
17. Koo J, Kaffes A. Endoscopic resection of large colonic lipomas assisted by a prototype single-use Endoloop device. Endoscopy. 2006 Jun;38(6):644-7.
18. Mensink PB, Haringsma J, Kucharzik T, Cellier C, Gasbarrini A, Kaffes AJ, Nakamura K, Yen HH, Yamamoto H. Complications of double balloon enteroscopy: a multicenter survey. Endoscopy. 2007 Jul;39(7):613-5.
19. Chettiar R, Selby WS, Kaffes AJ. Antegrade double balloon enteroscopy for continued obscure gastrointestinal bleeding following push enteroscopy: is there a role? Dig Dis Sci. 2010 May;55(5):1381-4.
20. Bailey AA, Bourke MJ, Kaffes AJ, Byth K, Lee EY, Williams SJ. Needle-knife sphincterotomy: factors predicting its use and the relationship with post-ERCP pancreatitis (with video). Gastrointest Endosc. 2010 Feb;71(2):266-71.
21. Tee HP, Kaffes AJ. Non-small-bowel lesions encountered during double-balloon enteroscopy performed for obscure gastrointestinal bleeding. World J Gastroenterol. 2010 Apr 21;16(15):1885-9.
22. Tee HP, James MW, Kaffes AJ. Placement of removable metal biliary stent in post-orthotopic liver transplantation anastomotic stricture. World J Gastroenterol. 2010 Jul 28;16(28):3597-600.
23. Tee HP, Corte C, Al-Ghamdi H, Prakoso E, Darke J, Chettiar R, Rahman W, Davison S, Griffin SP, Selby WS, Kaffes AJ. Prospective randomized controlled trial evaluating cap-assisted colonoscopy vs standard colonoscopy. World J Gastroenterol. 2010 Aug 21;16(31):3905-10.
24. Singh R, Nordeen N, Mei SL, Kaffes A, Tam W, Saito Y. West meets East: preliminary results of narrow band imaging with optical magnification in the diagnosis of colorectal lesions: a multicenter Australian study using the modified Sano’s classification. Dig Endosc. 2011 May;23 Suppl 1:126-30.
25. Singh R, Nordeen N, Mei SL, Kaffes A, Tam W, Saito Y. West meets East: preliminary results of narrow band imaging with optical magnification in the diagnosis of colorectal lesions: a multicenter Australian study using the modified Sano’s classification. Dig Endosc. 2011 May;23 Suppl 1:126-30.
26. Liu K, Kaffes AJ. Review article: the diagnosis and investigation of obscure gastrointestinal bleeding. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2011 Aug;34(4):416-23.
27. Liu K, Kaffes AJ. Iron deficiency anaemia: a review of diagnosis, investigation and management. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012 Feb;24(2):109-16.
28. Dinesen L, Chua TJ, Kaffes AJ. Meta-analysis of narrow-band imaging versus conventional colonoscopy for adenoma detection. Gastrointest Endosc. 2012 Mar;75(3):604-11.
29. Kaffes A, Corte C. Fine needle aspiration at endoscopic ultrasound with a novel side-port needle: a pilot experience. Therap Adv Gastroenterol. 2012 Mar;5(2):89-94.
30. Kaffes AJ. Advances in modern enteroscopy therapeutics. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2012 Jun;26(3):235-46.
31. Chua TJ, Kaffes AJ. Balloon-assisted enteroscopy in patients with surgically altered anatomy: a liver transplant center experience (with video). Gastrointest Endosc. 2012 Jul 26. [Epub ahead of print]
32. Corte C, Dahlenburg L, Selby W, Griffin S, Byrne C, Chua T, Kaffes A. Hyoscine butylbromide administered at the cecum increases polyp detection: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Endoscopy. 2012 Aug 14. [Epub ahead of print]
33. Tee HP, How SH, Kaffes AJ. Learning curve for double-balloon enteroscopy: Findings from an analysis of 282 procedures. World J Gastrointest Endosc. 2012 Aug 16;4(8):368-72.
34. Efthymiou M, Desmond PV, Brown G, La Nauze R, Kaffes A, Chua TJ, Taylor AC.SINGLE-01: a randomized, controlled trial comparing the efficacy and depth of insertion of single- and double-balloon enteroscopy by using a novel method to determine insertion depth. Gastrointest Endosc. 2012 Nov;76(5):972-80.ee HP, How SH, Kaffes AJ. Learning curve for double-balloon enteroscopy: Findings from an analysis of 282 procedures. World J Gastrointest Endosc. 2012 Aug 16;4(8):368-72.
35. Kaffes AJ, Chen RY, Tam W, Norton I, Cho S, Devereaux B, Vaughan R. A prospective multicenter evaluation of a new side-port endoscopic ultrasound-fine-needle aspiration in solid upper gastrointestinal lesions. Dig Endosc. 2012 Nov;24(6):448-51.
36. Fuller NR, Pearson S, Lau NS, Wlodarczyk J, Halstead MB, Tee HP, Chettiar R,Kaffes AJ. An intragastric balloon in the treatment of obese individuals with metabolic syndrome: a randomized controlled study. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 Aug;21(8):1561-70.
37. Kaffes AJ, Liu K. Fully covered self-expandable metal stents for treatment of benign biliary strictures. Gastrointest Endosc. 2013 Jul;78(1):13-21.
38. Kaffes A, Griffin S, Vaughan R, James M, Chua T, Tee H, Dinesen L, Corte C,Gill R. A randomized trial of a fully covered self-expandable metallic stent versus plastic stents in anastomotic biliary strictures after liver transplantation. Therap Adv Gastroenterol. 2014 Mar;7(2):64-71.
39. Gill RS, Kaffes AJ. Small bowel stricture characterization and outcomes of dilatation by double-balloon enteroscopy: a single-centre experience. Therap Adv Gastroenterol. 2014 May;7(3):108-14.
40. Chandran S, Efthymiou M, Kaffes A, Chen JW, Kwan V, Murray M, Williams D, Nguyen NQ, Tam W, Welch C, Chong A, Gupta S, Devereaux B, Tagkalidis P, Parker F, Vaughan R. Management of pancreatic collections with a novel endoscopicallyplaced fully covered self-expandable metal stent: a national experience (with videos). Gastrointest Endosc. 2015 Jan;81(1):127-35.
41. Cellich PP, Crawford M, 41. Cellich PP, Crawford M, Kaffes AJ, Sandroussi C. Portal biliopathy:multidisciplinary management and outcomes of treatment. ANZ J Surg. 2015, Jul;85(7-8):561-6., Sandroussi C. Portal biliopathy:multidisciplinary management and outcomes of treatment. ANZ J Surg. 2015, Jul;85(7-8):561-6.
42. Kuruvilla N, Paramsothy R, Gill R, Selby WS, Remedios ML, Kaffes AJ. A prospective dual-center proof-of-principle study evaluating the incremental benefit of narrow-band imaging with a fixed zoom function in real-time prediction of polyp histology. Can we resect and discard? Gastrointest Endosc. 2015, Aug;82(2):362-9.
43. Kaffes AJ. Management of benign biliary strictures: current status and perspective. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2015 Sep;22(9):657-63.
44. Gunasingam N, Perczuk A, Talbot M, 44. Gunasingam N, Perczuk A, Talbot M, Kaffes A, Saxena P. Update on therapeutic interventions for the management of achalasia. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016 Aug;31(8):1422-8., Saxena P. Update on therapeutic interventions for the management of achalasia. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016 Aug;31(8):1422-8.
45. Aepli P, St John A, Gupta S, Hourigan LF, Vaughan R, Efthymiou M, Kaffes A. Success and complications of an intra-ductal fully covered self-expanding metal stent (ID-FCSEMS) to treat anastomotic biliary strictures (AS) after orthotopic liver transplantation (OLT). Surg Endosc. 2016.
46. Liu K, Joshi V, Saxena P, Kaffes AJ. Predictors of success for double balloon-assisted endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in patients with Roux-en-Y anastomosis. Dig Endosc. 2016 .
47. Keegan M, Karim R, Kaffes A, Saxena P. A welcome diagnosis for painless biliary dilatation (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 2017.