Clinical Associate Professor Selvan Pather
MBChB (Natal), FCOG (SA), FRANZCOG, CGO
Phone: Phone: (02) 8514 0262
Fax: Fax: (02) 9383 1031
Dr Pather was appointed Staff Specialist in Gynaecologic Oncology at the Royal Prince Alfred and Liverpool Hospital in 2005. He completed his undergraduate and postgraduate training at the King Edward VIII Hospital in South Africa. He then started the first Gynaecologic Oncology Unit at The King Edward VII Hospital and after 18 months as Head of Gynaecologic Oncology moved to New Zealand to take up an appointment as Senior Lecturer in Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the University of Otago. Dr Pather completed further Gynaecologic Oncology training in Australia between 2002 and 2004, successfully completing the Australian sub-specialty examinations (CGO) in 2004. His interests include laparoscopic surgery and the role of radiotherapy in Gynaecologic oncology.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Ngotho, D; Pather, S; Moodley, J; Ramphall, S. Passive ileal segment Urinary diversion in advanced cervical cancer- a retrospective review. South African Journal of Surgery 38: 4-6(2000)
- Pather, S; Moodley, J; Bramdev, A. Isolated Vulval Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis. A case report. International. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2001 Jun; 27(3): 111-5
- Pather, S; Davis, RD; Sykes, PH; Reid, R; Skjerrerup, N. Thromboprophylaxis following caesarean section; The need for hospital protocols. N Z Med J. 2001 Jul 27; 114(1136): 339-40
- Bardsley M, Pather S, Neesham D, Dobrotwir A, Brown B, Quinn M, Grant P. Benign endocervical cystic glandular change mimicking minimal deviation adenocarcinoma of the cervix on magnetic resonance imaging: A case report. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004 Aug; 44(4): 358-9
- Jones S, Sykes P, Pather S, Peddie D.Is there a role for colposcopy in the follow-up of treated low grade squamous intraepithelial lesions? Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004 Dec; 44(6): 574-6.
- Pather S; Quinn M: Clear cell ovarian cancer – Is it chemosensitive. International Journal of Gynecologic Cancer 2005 May-Jun; 15(3): 432-7
- Pather S; Carter J: The use of the endoclose device to insert external retention sutures in a morbidly obese patient. Journal of Gynecologic Surgery. 2005 Sept, 21(3): 125-127
- Pather S, Ford M; Reid R; Sykes P: Postpartum Curettage- An audit of 200 cases. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2005 Oct; 45(5): 368-71.
- Carter J, Pather S.: An overview of uterine cancer and its management. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2006 Jan; 6(1): 33-42. Review.
- Carter J, Sim J, Land R, Dalrymple C, Abdel-Hadi M, Pather S. Recurrence after treatment for high-grade dysplasia: should we modify our post-treatment surveillance protocols? Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 2006 Aug; 46(4): 360-2.
- Carter J, Pather S, Abdel-Hadi M, Nattress K, Dalrymple C, Beale P. Not all ovarian cysts in young woman are benign: a case series and review of the management of complex adnexal masses in young women. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006 Aug; 46(4):350-5.
- Nattress K, Andrews L, Carter J, Culling B, Pather S & Hamilton A (2006) ‘An Innovative Multidisciplinary Approach for the Management of Women at High Risk of Breast and Ovarian Cancer’, International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, 16 (Suppl 3): 802
- Pather S, O’Leary M, Carter J: Endometrial cancer and its management. Women’s Health, 3(1) Jan 2007 45-54(10)
- Pather S, Atkinson K, Wang I, Russell P, Kesby G, Carter J. Virilization in pregnancy due to a borderline mucinous ovarian tumor. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2007 Jun; 33(3): 384-7.
- Pham, T. T.; Carter, J.; Jackson, M. 1; Dalrymple, C.; Atkinson, K.; Pather, S.; Milross, C. High dose rate (HDR) vaginal vault brachytherapy, following hysterectomy and surgical staging, for early stage endometrial cancer. Journal of Medical Imaging & Radiation Oncology. 52 A107, October 2008.
- Stanwell P, Russell P, Carter J, Pather S, Heintze S, Mountford C. Evaluation of ovarian tumours by proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy at three Tesla. Invest Radiol. 2008 Oct; 43(10): 745-51.
- Al-Rayyan ES, Duqoum WJ, Sawalha MS, Nascimento MC, Pather S, Dalrymple CJ, Carter JR. Secondary malignancies in ovarian dermoid cyst. Saudi Med J. 2009 Apr; 30(4): 524-8.
- Rao A, Pather S, Dalrymple C, Mackie A, Deans R, Carter J. The role of HPV testing in patients with possible high-grade cervical cytology. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2009 Jun; 35(3): 503-6.
- Chunping J. Pather S. Dalrymple C, Al-Rayan E, Nascimento M et al. Treatment and prognosis of uterine leiomyosarcoma. International Medicine and health Guidance 2009, 15(17).
- Janda M, Gebski V, Brand A, Hogg R, Jobling TW, Land R, Manolitsas T, McCartney A, Nascimento M, Neesham D, Nicklin JL, Oehler MK, Otton G, Perrin L, Salfinger S, Hammond I, Leung Y, Walsh T, Sykes P, Ngan H, Garrett A, Laney M, Ng TY, Tam K, Chan K, Wrede CD, Pather S, Simcock B, Farrell R, Obermair A. Quality of life after total laparoscopic hysterectomy versus total abdominal hysterectomy for stage I endometrial cancer (LACE): a randomised trial. Lancet Oncol. 2010 Aug; 11(8): 772-80.
- Carter J, Szabo R, Sim WW, Pather S, Philp S, Nattress K, Cotterell S, Patel P, Dalrymple C. Fast track surgery: a clinical audit. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2010 Apr; 50(2): 159-63.
- Pather S, Tai D, Philp S. A prospective study assessing patient satisfaction at a large tertiary gynecologic oncology/dysplasia unit. Pat. Health Related Outcomes measures.2010 Oct: 1:149 – 152
- Arora V, Philp S, Nattress K, Pather S et al. Patient satisfaction with inpatient care provided by the Sydney Gynecological Oncology Group. Pat Health Related Outcome Measures 2010 Nov: 1 179-184
- Philps S, Carter J, Pather S, White K. Evaluation of a Fast Track Surgery Program for gynaecological oncology patients. Cancer Nursing Research Unit. December 2010
- Nattress K, Dezarnaulds G, Carter J, Beale P, Milross C, Dalrymple C, Pather S. Enhancing fertility preservation in women with gynaecological cancer. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology 2011; 7(S4): s140
- Ding Z, Jiang C, Shore T, Pather S, Dalrymple C, Atkinson K, Murali R, Al-Rayyan E, Luo K, Carter J. The outcome of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia 2 diagnosed by punch biopsy in 131 women. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2011 Mar 13. doi: 10.1111
- Lim C, Leecy T, McKenzie P, Pather S, Carter J. Russell P. Two cases of adenosquamous carcinoma of the cervix with extensive in situ and invasive endometrial extension. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2011 Mar; 30(2): 193-7
- Pather S, Won H, Carter J, A borderline broad ligament cyst. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2011 May; 31(4): 350-1
- Pather S. Arora V. Rao A. The use of the Ligasure Advance and the V Loc suture in patients undergoing total laparoscopic hysterectomy. Websurg Laparoscopic Journal. 2011 Apr ; Vol 11 no 4
- Pather S, Arora V. Rao A. May 2011 Pelvic lymphadenectomy using the ligasure advance Websurg Laparoscopic Journal. 2011 May ; Vol 11 no 5
- Pather S, Loadsman J, Rao A. Phillp S, Carter J. Perioperative outcomes of patients undergoing total laparoscopic hysterectomy compared to patients undergoing open fast track hysterectomy. A case controlled study. Australian NZ J of O and g 2011 Oct;51(5):393-6
- Philp S. Carter J, Pather S, White K. Fast track surgery and a nurse led follow-up in gynaecological oncology: A New Model of Care. (In press)
- Nicklin J, Janda M, Gebski V, Jobling T, Land R, Manolitsas T, McCartney A, Nascimento M, Perrin L, Baker JF, Obermair A; LACE Trial Investigators. The utility of serum CA-125 in predicting extra-uterine disease in apparent early-stage endometrial cancer. Int J Cancer. 2012 Aug 15;131(4):885-90
- Pather S, Loadsman JA, Gopalan PD, Rao A, Philp S, Carter J. The role of transversus abdominis plane blocks in women undergoing total laparoscopic hysterectomy: a retrospective review. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2011 Dec;51(6):544-7.
- Obermair A, Janda M, Baker J, Kondalsamy-Chennakesavan S, Brand A, Hogg R, Jobling TW, Land R, Manolitsas T, Nascimento M, Neesham D, Nicklin JL, Oehler MK, Otton G, Perrin L, Salfinger S, Hammond I, Leung Y, Sykes P, Ngan H, Garrett A, Laney M, Ng TY, Tam K, Chan K, Wrede DH,Pather S, Simcock B, Farrell R, Robertson G, Walker G, McCartney A, Gebski V. Improved surgical safety after laparoscopic compared to open surgery for apparent early stage endometrial cancer: results from a randomised controlled trial. Eur J Cancer. 2012 May;48(8):1147-53..
- Kondalsamy-Chennakesavan S, Janda M, Gebski V, Baker J, Brand A, Hogg R, Jobling TW, Land R, Manolitsas T, Nascimento M, Neesham D, Nicklin JL, Oehler MK, Otton G, Perrin L, Salfinger S, Hammond I, Leung Y, Sykes P, Ngan H, Garrett A, Laney M, Ng TY, Tam K, Chan K, Wrede DH,Pather S, Simcock B, Farrell R, Robertson G, Walker G, McCartney A, Obermair A. Risk factors to predict the incidence of surgical adverse events following open or laparoscopic surgery for apparent early stage endometrial cancer: results from a randomised controlled trial. Eur J Cancer. 2012 Sep;48(14):2155-62
- Rhou YJ, Pather S, Loadsman JA, Campbell N, Philp S, Carter J. Direct hospital costs of total laparoscopic hysterectomy compared with fast-track open hysterectomy at a tertiary hospital: a retrospective case-controlled study. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2013 May 2. Richards A, Black K, Pather S. Persistent molar pregnancy in an ectopic treated with laparoscopic surgery: a case report. IJCRI 2013 (4): 220-223
- Wu J, Pather S, Kim J. Benign mature cystic teratoma mimicking normal mandibular development. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2013 Nov; 35(11): 969.
- Pather S, Stokjovic N, Campbell N, Richards T, Ogle R. Maternal outcomes after conservative management of placenta percreta at caesarean section. A report of 3 cases and review of the literature. Aust NZ J Obstet Gynaecol : 2014 Feb; 54(1):84-87
- Harris FM, Rhou JYJ, Story D, Pather S. Prolonged survival after laparoscopic splenectomy for recurrent ovarian cancer and no adjuvant therapy: a report and review of the literature South Afr J Gynaecol Oncol: 2013 2074-2835.
- Philp S, Carter J, Pather S, Barnett C, D’Abrew N, White K. Patients’ satisfaction with fast-track surgery in gynaecological oncology. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2014 Oct 21.
- Wan K, Rhou J, Pather S. Pelvic Actinomycosis mimicking ovarian cancer. A report of 3 cases and review of the literature. Austin J Obstet Gynecol. 2014;1(3): 3.
- Pather S, Strockyj S, Richards A, Campbell N, de Vries B, Ogle R. Maternal outcome after conservative management of placenta percreta at caesarean section: a report of three cases and a review of the literature. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2014 Feb;54(1):84-7.
Chapters in Books
- NBOCC a lymphoedema guideline. “The management of secondary lymphoedema. A Medical Practitioners Guide” http://www.nbocc.org.au/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=77
- Pather S. Management of Constipation and Diarrhoea. ” Best Clinical Practice in. Gynaecologic Cancer. Palliative Care.” Greater Metropolitan Clinical Task Force – Feb 2009. http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/resources/gmct/gynaeonc/pdf/go_palliative_care.pdf
- NBOCC GP guideline ” Appropriate referral of Women with suspected Ovarian Cancer.”April2009 http://www.nbocc.org.au/bestpractice/resources/OCARW292_appropriatereferralf.pdf
- Pather S. Role of Lymphadenectomy in the management of Early Stage Endometrial Cancer. Evidence Based Management of Endometrial Cancer – Cancer Australia 2011
- Guidelines for the Evidence Based Triage of Peri and Postmenopausal Bleeding. Cancer Australia 2011
- Guidelines for the Evidence Based Management of Early Stage Endometrial Cancer: Cancer Australia 2011
- Pather S. (Editor) Understanding Cervical Cancer. Cancer Council of NSW. 2014.