Prostate Cancer accounted for 25 per cent of all new male cancer cases diagnosed in 2016. It is estimated that one in six males will be diagnosed with prostate cancer before they turn 85.
While the majority of men diagnosed with prostate cancer will not succumb from the disease, it remains an important health issue given that it is the second commonest cause of male related cancer deaths. It is a little known fact that more men die from prostate cancer in Australia each year than the number of women who die from breast cancer.
The Priority Access Prostate Cancer Assessment service has been established at Chris O’Brien Lifehouse cancer hospital as a streamlined care pathway. This service will initially aim to have patients seen for an initial consultation within two weeks of referral and, as the service develops, to do much better than this.
Patients will be seen by a urologist in the multidisciplinary Prostate Clinic, where they will consult alongside both medical and radiation oncology colleagues.
How to refer
To refer a patient to the Priority Access Prostate Cancer Assessment Service, GPs should visit the Refer a Patient page.
Aim of Referral
- From GP to priority access prostate cancer screening service within two weeks
How to refer – use one of the following options
- GP to complete online referral form on the Refer a Patient page
- Referral can be to the next available Priority Access Prostate Cancer Assessment Service doctor or to a specific doctor. Either selection must be indicated on referral
- The completed referral should be faxed (9383 1000) or emailed (firstname.lastname@example.org) to Lifehouse Priority Access Prostate Cancer Assessment Service
- Referral forms can be download loaded using Best Practice or Medical Director software or in PDF version
If You Need Help
- Please call the Urology Department on 8514 0432 for any questions or to clarify a process
- Please also visit our website mylifehouse.org.au/Health_professionals/ for further information and to download the referral form using Best Practice or Medical Director software.